Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Mother's Day: Hand Print Pillows

Mother's Day in the UK is on a different day than Mother's Day in the US. (This year Mother's Day in the UK was March 10th.) One would think that this would give me two days of pampering by my family - unfortunately - this is not the case! However we did need to send Granny a little gift to help her celebrate the day across the pond.

We decided to make her some pillows with hand and foot prints.

First we need to protect the floor so we stuck down some foil under a sheet of fabric. We did our feet and hand prints in a bathroom that hasn't been decorated in 45 years (literally!) so I wasn't too nervous about little hands and feet covered in paint.


First I had the girls sit on the floor and I painted their foot with a thick layer of fabric paint.


 I then helped them stand on the fabric to make our prints.


Once our prints were dry we added stems and leaves by potato printing. (In case you are wondering about the presence of Olivia the Pig - she is the class 'pet' and she was staying with us for the weekend.)
 

 We added a flower pot and a ribbon bow.


I quilted with some swirly whirly free hand quilting ...


... and added some fancy flange to the pillows.

 


Here are our finished cushions.



I opted for a  pillowcase opening sealed with a bright purple ribbon. Here is the back of the cushion.


Such a cute gift that I think any Granny would be thrilled to receive. Even our littlest (6 months) got his feet and hands in on the action - his first official art work!!

3 comments:

dottycookie said...

Those are simply inspired - I wish I'd thought of that when mine had smaller feet!

Sue said...

Those are adorable. I'm sure Granny will be delighted.

hetty said...

That is so cute! Those little feet, especially. Perfect pillows that a Granny will love.