Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Memorial Quilt: T-shirts

This is not your typical t-shirt quilt.

If you have not had the pleasure with working with t-shirts before - they are much harder to quilt than you would imagine. The material is not conducive to any complex piecing, non bulky seams and free motion quilting. When I was given these t-shirts (from a family whose Grandmother had passed away) I wasn't sure what I would do with the huge array of colors - the t-shirts also vary in their 'stretch', weave/texture, sheen and thickness.



Quilting this quilt was a mammoth effort. I certainly enhanced my arm and shoulder muscles pushing it through Bernie.


The quilting pattern is feathers - into flowers - into leaves - into swirls and finally into curvy lines. I hope that the quilting brings some movement to an otherwise blocky design. This is the back of the quilt. This is the most complex quilting design I have taken on so far - and I do have to thank my Craftsy lesson with Angela Walters for the skills I have picked up here.



I followed the change in colors with the change of free motion quilting patterns. 


Even the binding is from a t-shirt.


After I had finished the quilt I washed the quilt on a hot wash and dried it on a hot wash too - this treatment helps the t-shirts helps to 'settle in' some what to the way I have been asking them to comply.

I'm looking forward to seeing how far I can take quilting t-shirts in the future!

Technical Info:
Batting: Quilters Dream Wool Batting 100% Wool
Backing Fabric: 110" Wide Quilt Backing Butterfly White
Top: Client provided  t-shirts
Binding: Clients provided t-shirts
Quilting Thread (Top & Bobbin): Sulky® Clear Premier Invisible Thread

4 comments:

Fiona said...

I love what you have done with these T shirst and great quilting considering the difficult fabric...
Hugz

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Fiona for such a lovely comment. It was a battle of wills to quilt it - but I think the result was worth it.

Fiona said...

Hi Rachael, I tried to send back an answer to your question about my blanketing... it came back as a fail delivery... not sure why.... but anyway thanks for the visit and also just to let you know I use wool blanketing/clothing as my 'felt'... it is a bit thicker than commercial felt but I like the texture ... and the recycling aspect...
Hugz

Sue said...

Do you first use iron on stabilizer before working with the thin tee shirt fabric?