Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Memorial Quilts from Kilts & Coats

When ever a family comes to me and asks for help making some quilts from their memories I feel utterly honored. I have been asked to make 4 quilts from a collection of wool kilts & coats and various other dresses etc. This is a big big project.

These clothes are from the families mother's attic - whom sadly passed last year. She had saved these beautiful coats & clothes from the children's childhood years as well as every kilt that their father had brought back from Ireland. There are some amazing details on these clothes that I am really excited about.





 

I took apart all the quilts and washed them with some special fabric softener. They washed up really really well - a HUGE amount of fabric for me to work with.


I have been dismantling, cleaning, ironing, prepping & cutting this fabric for weeks now. I'm excited that now it is finally time to start sewing!!

3 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

Oooh, how fun -- I can't wait to see what you come up with!

ziggee said...

I can't wait to see the quilt that is made from these fine fabrics.

Unknown said...

The quilts are coming along nicely - I'm really excited to complete them & show them to you all. I hope the quilting process will be as successful as the piecing has been so far!