Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Kids Art Quilt: Sharpie Art Quilt


This is an easy project to do with your little ones. You could make a simple quilt or jazz it up with free motion quilting, embroidery add notions etc. We went with something down the middle of these options.



What you will need:

White fabric squares
Sharpie Permanent Markers - we went with a set of 80's Glam sharpies
Extra fabric for borders, binding & backing
Quilt batting (appropriate size for however big your quilt becomes)

It is as simple as this.

- Ask your little artist to draw on the squares.
- Sew together as desired.
- Quilt, adorn, decorate as desired.
- Show your proud little artist.
NOTE: The sharpies will not wash out when you wash the quilt - but they might bleed a little - we found the light blue to bleed the most. I did prewash our drawn squares before sewing the quilt together - but I think this would be optional - I just tend to wash everything before working with it.



I actually quilted this on Bernie - I did what I guess must almost be thread painting (perhaps thread scribbling?) over the drawn lines and then I added some basic quilting in and around the drawn panels. The great thing about this sort of project is that it doesn't matter how good (or bad) your additions to the blanket it - your little one will love their first art quilt.

Lets take a closer look at some of that art work.


Jack & the Beanstalk

A Pirate on a ship

 Rainbow

Our teepee

Princess & the Pea

Rapunzel (beautiful isn't she!)

A sad moon

What struck me most as I rushed to finish this up was how much Bunny #1's art has improved in just 6 months. Sadly the completion of her art quilt got thoroughly & rudely interrupted by the arrival of Freddie my longarm. Her drawings now are so much more mature & detailed - only one thing for it ... another art quilt??

**************

Our other kid painted fabric projects have included:

4 comments:

hetty said...

Wonderful! Congratulations, Bunnie #1. Your first art quilt is amazing!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much Hetty - she was so proud. I'm pretty proud of the way she humors me and my ideas that I inflict on her ....

Thimbleanna said...

Definitely another art quilt in order. This one is adorable -- and little Charlotte looks so proud!!!

Unknown said...

Thank you - she was - she was incredibly patient as well - waiting for me to finish it. I wish I had had more time to do better detail on it ....